Skip to main content

Huge sectional sofa.




COUCH FOR SALE.

Hmmmm...?

HUGE COUCH FOR SALE.

Hmm.  Nope.

(delete, delete, delete)

Urgh!  This is so hard!

JUST BUY MY F**CKING COUCH.  THE OTHER ONES SUCK.

Yeahhh....not so much. I might get permanently booted off Kijiji.

Hmmmm.....

HUGE SECTIONAL SOFA FOR SALE!

Yes!!  By George, I think I've got it!

---------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks ago I placed my gorgeous and very huge sectional sofa for sale on Kijiji.   I have been thinking about selling it for a few months now.  The couch is just way too huge for our small townhome.  And the girls seem to end up on top of eachother when trying to play because there's no room.  It just isn't the right fit for our family anymore.  

But I just LOVE my couch.  It's big and beautiful and very comfortable.  And, as you all know.....I'm a hoarder.  And I don't like to sell things.  I just want to keep everything I've ever purchased.  In fact, if I could, I would just store this couch somewhere and buy a new one....knowing that the old one was still close enough to touch.  But unfortunately my money tree in the backyard has not started sprouting yet, so this is not really an option at the moment :/


One morning, I drank my coffee as I watched Lola and Molly play in the family room.  They started arguing AGAIN because there wasn't enough room to play.
"Mommy!!  Molly keeps coming on my side!  Make her go over there!"  

"I don wanna doe ovah daiw!!  Dez no woom!  Mate Lola doe ovah daiw!!!"

I sighed very loudly as I looked around for someone to blame for this ongoing problem.  But of course no one else was around....it was just me and the girls.  So I looked at the ginormous sofa which took up almost the entire family room.  I squinted my eyes and whispered to it....this is all YOUR fault!  You're too big!  You need to get outta here!


There.  I felt better.  I went back to my coffee.




That afternoon, I took pictures of my sofa and created my Kijiji ad. Within days, I was overwhelmed with emails and text messages from people who were all interested in my couch.  Clearly I created a phenomenal ad :)

The first few hits were low-ballers.  Pfffttt!  Who did they think they were?  This was a stunning couch from The Brick!  No stains, no tears and from a non-smoking home.....I was selling gold here!!  

After I turned those folks down, I got an email from a woman named Pat.  She offered a bit less but I figured I could get her closer to my asking price.  She asked me to call her back.  So I did.  But I was surprised when I heard a man's deep and rugged voice on the answering machine.

Hey.  It's Pat.  I'm not here right now.  Leave me a message.  I'll call you back.  Or maybe I won't.

EW!  This guy was a douche.  Not sure I wanted a douche to own my couch.  He was probably going to do douch-y things on it.  But he was the only one interested for now.  I had to keep pursuing this if I was going to sell this damn thing.

After days of going back and forth with Pat, he finally agreed to come and see the sofa.  He was coming all the way from up north (a 2 1/2 hour drive) so I knew it was a done deal.  

But as we all know, ridiculous things happen to this Ridiculous Girl.  And of course this couldn't be a simple event.  The couch-pick-up day turned into a complete fiasco.  Not only was Pat running 2 hours behind, but he still hadn't picked up a trailer to transport the sofa back home.  I patiently waited trying not to sit on the couch so that it looked perfect for when he arrived.

I received a text from him while I waited.

R u ner Lowes 

What is this guy talking about?  And why is he such a bad texter?

I was getting frustrated but kept my cool.  He was buying my couch after all.  I texted back directions to the hardware store and then directions to my place.

An hour later, he emailed me.

Is Lowes by hwy 11

What is wrong with this guy?  And why is he emailing me now?  What happened to texting?

I finally called him.  He told me that he wasn't good at texting and he preferred to email.  Oh...and he had no GPS.  

This guy was a complete disaster.  I was selling my couch to a complete disaster.  

My poor couch :(  How would it survive with him? 

An hour later, Pat had finally arrived.  I ran to open the front door and was surprised to see a 70-year old man standing there.  

"Hi.  Sorry I'm so late!  I'm Pat".

OOoooohhhhhhh.  This made SO much more sense.  He was OLD!  Of course!!  That's why he couldn't text!  And that's why he sounded like a douche!  I understood perfectly now!  I suddenly had much more patience for him.  


Well, until he said.........


"So, how big is this thing?  Cause I couldn't get the trailer."


"You're kidding right?  Pat!  It's MASSIVE!"  I led him towards the family room and waved my right arm over the entire couch........sort of like how Vanna White used to present the covered letters on Wheel of Fortune.  


"Ah, no worries.  We'll figure it out!"

Mama was at my home watching the girls while this whole disaster took place.  I looked over at her with angry eyes and flared my nostrils. 

"Let me just get my buddy to help me carry it out".

We went outside to greet Pat's buddy......who was actually his brother, and like....85 years old .....and overweight.  "Dave"....slowly climbed out of the van and huffed and puffed as he greeted me.

"Hey" (hufff.....pufff)  "I'm Dave!"

Oh for the love of God.

Dave barely made it up the 4 steps to my front door.  Clearly it was going to be ME who was going to help Pat carry this gigantic couch out the door.  I didn't prepare for this!  I didn't even stretch for God's sakes.

But somehow Pat and I managed to lift and carry the couch to the driveway while Dave kept wheezing off to the side.  At one point Dave asked if I was in my 20's....???  

I replied,  "Uhhh...no.  I'm in my 30's"  

"30's.  Good years.  That's great! (huffff)"

Again I looked at Mama and rolled my eyes.

After 45 minutes of shifting and maneuvering, Pat finally decided that only one of the couch sections would fit in the van.

No guff!!  I wanted to yell "I TOLD YOU SO!"  but decided to refrain.

He told me he would return later that night for the other piece.

"How late do you stay up?"

"Ummm....like, 11??  But let me know if you're coming, cause if you don't, I'm getting into my pj's and you don't want to see me in my pj's"

"Oh.  I don't know about that"  He smiled.

 Oh geeze louise!  Pat is a 70-year old FLIRT!  

I needed Pat to go home.

--------------------------------------------------

At 11pm, I still hadn't received any messages from Pat.  So I sent a quick text before I went to bed.

I'm assuming you're not coming back tonight?

This was Pat's reply by text:

Ya tomoro   jus kickd out drunk friends    too bad couldnt get back tonite to c late nite wardrobe



I rolled my eyes as I pulled back the covers and climbed into bed.



The next day Pat picked up the last piece of the couch.  

I received this final text from him later that night:

Ur couch is now verry happy again  thanks   let me know when u r traveling north and we will do cocktails


Pfffft!!  This guy is crazy.


That money tree in my backyard better start sprouting soon......because it will be a VERY long time before I sell anything on Kijiji ever AGAIN!


Good bye my beautiful couch.  And good luck to you!!






 


For more hilarity, check out:

 Hi, I'm Leo. And I'm a hoarder.









   














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h