Skip to main content

Closure.





Once in awhile I'll get a new friend request on Facebook.  Usually these requests are from girlfriends who I knew in grade school, high school or university.  I always eagerly jump to this new online friend's page to see what they've been up to and see who they're still talking to after all these years.    

I always love getting to know these people all over again.  It's like finding a new friend in your back pocket.  But you don't have to work as hard in creating a brand new friendship from the start....cause you already did that years ago.  It's a really good feeling.  Kind of like finding a $20 bill in your winter coat after pulling it out of storage.  Isn't that just the best?

Anyways, I digress.

Just recently I logged onto Facebook and saw that the tiny 2-person icon on my main page had a little red number 1 beside it.  

Eeeek!  A new friend! 

I quickly clicked on the icon while wondering who the new lucky candidate would be.

The picture popped up on my screen.  And when it did, my mouth dropped.  

I slowly took my hands off the keyboard and folded them under my chin.

It took me a while to realize that I was biting my left thumbnail.  Something I only do when I'm really nervous......


---------------------------------------------------------------

4 weeks earlier



"Babe.  Guess who I saw last night?" my sister's friend Bianka said.
"Who?" I asked excitedly.
"I saw...........

HOLD UP!  Wait a minute.  I just realized something.  If I say this person's name, then all of you....my Ridiculous Girl followers......will go on Facebook and look this person up.  I must protect his anonymity. I'll change his name.  Yes....that's what I'll do!  Ok....back to the story.....

"I saw ...Chazz!"  
(Sorry....that's the first name that popped into my head)

"You saw Chazz??"  Suddenly my eyes were huge.
"Yup!  And he looked GOOD!!  You guys would have made a smokin' couple!"

Chazz and I were a thing back in the day.  I say "thing" because it never really became official.  We sort of knew that we weren't meant for each other.....and eventually we both went our separate ways.  There were crazy sparks between us....but nothing to substantiate an actual relationship.  But there were crazy sparks between us...........wait, did I say that already??


"So....like, what happened with you two?  Do you ever talk to him?"  
I smiled and raised my shoulders to my ears.  
"Nope.  I haven't seen or talked to him in...... forever.  I guess he's become a thing of my past."


----------------------------------------------------------------


Well.....somehow my past had found me and jumped into my present life and right onto my Facebook page.


I couldn't help but wonder, if I had tried this relationship before and it didn't work.....then why was I being tested with it again?  And could I actually be friends with this person? 

This extremely handsome person.  

This 6'4" extremely handsome person.  


I got to thinking about closure and the steps involved in moving on.  Sure, there weren't as many steps in closing my thing with Chazz as there were with closing the relationships of my other boyfriends. But there were still steps.  And did it make sense to open up a box that was already sealed with tape and put into storage?
 
And who was Chazz now?  What was Chazz looking for?  Let's be honest.....Chazz never asked me to be Facebook friends with him when my status said "married".  

(By the way....I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun with this whole Chazz name!)



Anyway, I didn't quite know what to do.

I certainly didn't want to live in the past.  But I also wanted to be a grown-up about my decision.  But I didn't want him to think that I wanted to start something up with him again.  But....I also wanted to be mature and show myself that I could be friends with him if I really wanted to.

Arghhhh!!


I scrolled my cursor back and forth over the buttons "confirm" or "not now" as I stared at his picture.

This decision would be MUCH easier if he wasn't so damn attractive. 



But, somehow, after 10 minutes of debating the pros and cons........I finally decided what to do.



CLICK!


His blue eyes zoomed off the screen. 



Well, that's that.  


I feel good about my decision.


The End.







Wait, what was that?


You want to know what I picked??


Ha ha ha......




What do you think? ;)


















 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa