Skip to main content

9/11. Forever Remembered.




....continued from last entry....



I couldn't believe what I had just heard.

I looked around the cabin.  Even though none of the passengers were panicking, you could cut the tension in the air with a knife.

I was afraid to look at Mike.  I couldn't face him after I had just finished lecturing him on how flying was the safest way to travel.



We landed in Dayton Ohio within 1/2 hour of the pilot's announcement.  And within seconds of landing, Mike was on a payphone letting his mom know that he was ok.   There was no way that his mom even thought we were in danger....so I was frustrated and irritated that he left my side.  I was still confident that there was nothing to worry about, but if there was, why wasn't Mike protecting me? 

My thoughts were interrupted when suddenly I heard my name being announced over the speaker system.  Who knew I was here? 

I ran to one of the check-in counters.  The attendant handed me a phone.

"Leo!  Are you ok??"

It was one of the secretaries from our office back in Toronto.   I was very confused.  Even though most of the world had known what was happening in New York by now, we in the airport still had no clue.

After assuring her that Mike and I were ok, I asked her what was going on.

But before she could answer, something caught my eye.  

"Never mind.  Finish looking for the others.  I'll call you later".

I hung up the phone and walked slowly towards one of the restaurants in the airport.  There, in the bar area, was a crowd of about a hundred people staring blank faced at the TV.  

I made my way up to the front of the crowd and stood beside 2 pilots.  I looked up at the screen, and watched plane #2 hit one of the Twin Towers in New York.

I gasped ......and my eyes filled with tears.





For the next few days, we were stranded in Dayton, Ohio.  Flights were grounded, and every other means of transportation was impossible to secure.  

Mike and I ended up finding a hotel to stay in while we searched for ways to get home.  

We were both in completely different states of mind.  While Mike panicked and worried about how to get home to his parents, I sat on the bed in a state of utter sadness watching hours and hours of coverage of the tragedy that had just occurred.  I still couldn't believe that this had actually happened.


I cried for days.  I cried for the mothers who lost their children.  I cried for the wives that lost their husbands.  And I cried for the firefighters who risked, and lost their lives at the mere chance that they could save another.  

We had soon learned that our American Airlines flight was probably targeted by the terrorists as one of the planes to hi-jack.  Apparently the terrorists were looking for larger planes traveling from the East coast to the West coast.  

I couldn't understand why so many people had lost their lives ....and yet my life was spared.  






After 3 days, we had finally found a rental car that needed to be returned back to Toronto.

As we drove home, images of the terrorist attacks replayed over and over in my head.  As I sat in silence, Mike went on and on about how he would never fly again and how unsafe the world was.  As he spoke, he pushed the "lock" button on the rental car to lock the car doors.  He told me that "we were driving in an unsafe neighborhood".  I looked at the speedometer.  We were driving 110 kms/hour on a highway.  Unless someone jumped onto our car from a bridge above, there was no way we were in any way "unsafe".  But I didn't want to comment.  I just leaned on the side of the car door and went to sleep.



When I woke up, we were home.  

I slowly climbed out of the car and walked to my door.  I heard Mike following close behind. 

When I stopped at the porch, I turned to look at him.  He put both of his hands on my face and kissed me.  We looked at eachother for a few seconds.  

We both knew.

He whispered, "I love you.  I'll call you later" ....and walked back to the car.

I sat down on the porch and watched him drive away.




The next day we broke up.



After 9/11, I knew that things would never be the same with us.....and with the world..... ever again.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa