Skip to main content

Drinks... at the basement bar.




I tried to think of a clever way to start this blog entry........but we don't have time.  I have a ton of questions that need answering, so we have to get started right away.

Remember my post about my cute neighbor?  The one with the 2 little girls? The one who my other neighbors think is interested in me, but I'm pretty sure he has a girlfriend....remember that guy??  If you don't, then you have to read that entry first.   

Please read it quickly though.  Remember....we don't have time! (By the way -you should have ALL of my entries memorized but I don't even have time to reprimand you for this.  You're lucky.)


Click on: Fuzzy was he?



Ok!  You're all caught up now?  Good.


So, my cute neighbor came over AGAIN to ask if our girls wanted to have a play date.   Seeing as how it was a rainy day and I was running out of crafts to do and movies to watch, I decided that a play date was a good idea.  He suggested his place because he just finished his basement.

So within 5 minutes, the kids were running around and the neighbor and I were chatting in his kitchen.

"Do you want to see the finished basement?" he suddenly asked, "I did the whole thing myself."
"Sure!"

As we went down the stairs, I noticed a bar off to the side.  

"You built a bar down here?  That's awesome!"  I said while laughing out loud.
"Yup.  Every house needs a bar" he winked "Do you want a drink?"

And within minutes, we were drinking gin and 7's and chatting about his work....at the basement bar.

I was secretly hoping to get some more information on his status and his "girlfriend".  The one I saw only once or twice in front of his house.

Suddenly....I knew the perfect segue.  

"So, why did you finish the basement?  Are you planning on moving?  Was this place an investment for you?"  I noticed that my eyes slightly narrowed, as if I was interrogating the guy.  I quickly opened them wider so I wouldn't look so devious (mou hahahhahaha!)

"Nope.  Definitely not moving.  The girls and I are here to stay.  We love it here".
"It IS a great neighborhood.  We love it here too. I'm guessing your girlfriend lives close by then?"  I took a sip of my drink right after so that the reasoning for my question wouldn't appear so forward.
"No actually.  She lives in Halifax."

I had soon learned that she had also gone through a big divorce (surprise, surprise) and she had 3 kids with her ex who also lived in Halifax, and which prevented her from moving.

"So.... you guys just do this long-distance thing?"
"Yup.  3 years now!"
"3 years!??  Wow.  Good for you guys.  That's actually very impressive."


A short while later, I left his place feeling happy and confident that I finally knew my answer.  This man was in a committed relationship and seemed happy.  And as for us.....we were just gonna be friends.



But.....over the last few weeks, my neighbor has been somewhat more ...."friendly".   

The knocks on my door for play dates has become MUCH more frequent recently, and there is never a missed opportunity to come over and chat when he sees me outside.  

If I know someone has a girlfriend, then the proverbial doors for me are closed.  Shut.  Bolted.  Alarmed.  But somehow I felt that this neighbor didn't see things the same way.

I mentioned this to my neighbor-couple the other night and the husband burst out laughing.  

"Leo!  The guy is still after you!  No question.  Don't you think it's convenient that his girlfriend lives thousands of miles a way and he's not planning on moving?"

His wife immediately jumped in, "He could still like her as a friend!  This could be totally innocent."

He looked at his wife and then at me.  He had that look on his face when you try to explain something to someone....and they're just not getting it.

"I guarantee you he doesn't want Leo just as a friend.  If he wants a friend, he can call up one of his buddies and go watch a football game."



I couldn't help but wonder if he was right?  


Was I being super naive about this whole situation?   What did my neighbor really want?  Were we on two completely different pages?

 

Is it possible for a man to have a platonic friendship with a woman if he was already in a relationship? 





 
I need some help here people.

What do YOU think??







To be continued.




 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa