Skip to main content

Knock, knock, knockin'.......




So I ended my last entry  with a question to my readers:


 Is it possible for a man to have a platonic friendship with a woman if he is already in a relationship? 

I posed this question in an effort to get some advice on a neighbor who is in a long-distance relationship but seems to be sending me some mixed signals on the side.


The response, from both women and men, was quite interesting.  

Most of you think that it is impossible for a man, who is in a relationship, to have a female platonic friend on the side.  Then there's the few who believe that it is absolutely possible for a man to have a female friend.  And then there's the rest of you, who think that my neighbor is confused.....and that possibly me flirting with him will give me the answers that I am looking for.

It amazed me that so many of my friends had such strong, and differing opinions about the same topic.  

But WHY did this intrigue me so much? Everyone is different right?  Everyone has their own opinion right?

So why did your opinions leave me so confused?

And why was this topic.....and this neighbor of mine bothering me so much?  



And then it hit me.


Everyone has formulated their opinions based on their own life experiences, right?

So if that's the case, then obviously something in my past was causing me to question my neighbor and his slight advances.


I thought back to the last time I had heard the term "just friends".

Without getting into too much detail, my personal experience was that a man could NOT be friends with a woman while he was in a relationship.

It just didn't work.

But.....I am not that naive to believe that it can't happen.





So.  

Back to my neighbor. 

Could he be a good guy that just likes my company and likes that our daughters are friends?  


OR.......does he want something more and is just treading the water lightly to see how I respond to his subtle moves?





At the end of the day......I truly think it depends on the guy.

And since I don't really know him.....and I don't really know what his intentions are.....I guess then, it doesn't matter what he wants.




It matters what I want.   


And what I want is a platonic relationship with my nice neighbor and his kids.  If he wants something more......then he's knocking on the wrong door ;)









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa