Skip to main content

Life......It's Complicated.








For those of you who don’t know, I’m a huge movie buff.   I watch movies ALL of the time.

And it’s entirely not unusual for me to get “hooked” on a movie that I absolutely love, and then watch that movie every day for weeks in a row.


Yes, I said every day.

 

Every, single, day.

  

That’s ridiculous you say???

 

Well…….of course it is!

 

I am Ridiculous Girl after all  ;) 

  

Anyway, the movie that I am currently hooked on is called  “It’s Complicated”.  A delightful comedy released in 2009 which stars the acting geniuses Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin.

 I regularly “troll” through TV stations to see which movies are coming up and which I need to tape.  As you can imagine, I have quite the plethora of fabulous movies on my PVR ready to be enjoyed over and over …..and over again.

 I’m sure you can also imagine how devastated I was when I switched from Rogers to Bell  last year and I had to hand it my PVR which was filled to the brim with my favorite films :(

 I whined and whined to the Rogers guy as I held my PVR tight against my chest at the store.

 Me:                  “Isn’t there ANY way to transfer my movies to my new PVR with Bell???” 

Rogers Guy:    “No.”

Me:                  “Are you sure????”

Rogers Guy:    “Yes.”

Me:                  “Are you REALLY, 100%, ABSOLUTELY SURE????”

Rogers Guy:    “NEXT!!”

 
So for MONTHS, I have been keeping track of all of the movies airing on TV in order to replace those lost with my last PVR.  I have successfully replaced most of them:  The Holiday, Bridesmaids, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, The Avengers….the list goes on and on. 
 

But for some reason I have had no luck in finding It’s Complicated. 

 Until just recently!   I did a random search on my TV a few weeks ago, only to find that it was going to air that Saturday night, on some random channel that I had never heard of.  But I didn’t care which network it was airing on, only that I was finally going to get one of my favorite movies back!! 


I set the timer right away as I would be in Quebec City that weekend, and didn’t want to forget taping it. 

 After a very busy weekend in Quebec, I looked forward to a quiet Sunday evening of TV and wine when I returned.

I squealed when I finally saw It’s Complicated back on my PVR listings.  I smiled and thought Everything is right in the world again :)      

I pressed PLAY, grabbed my glass of wine and let out a relaxed sigh as I leaned back onto the couch and pulled a very thick cozy blankie up onto my feet.

But as the movie began, I noticed something odd.

The movie was being narrated?

 I grabbed the converter once again and started playing with all of the buttons.  It took me forever to find the closed captioning feature in the Menu Settings, but when I did, I was slightly surprised that it was already set to OFF.  Hmmm….that’s weird? I thought.

Nonetheless, I turned it ON and OFF about 7 more times.  That should do it!!  When it doubt, always push the same button over and over until you think you have achieved your desired results.  66% of the time, it works every time!!

But when I went back to the movie, that voice was still in the background??

Ugh, ok this was annoying.  This woman wouldn’t shut up.  She narrated EVERYTHING.



Palm trees sway in the afternoon sun…..


A sprawling green valley lies at the foot of a majestic mountain range……


A well-dressed crowd mingles in a backyard blooming with rose bushes…..

 

Arghhhh. 

 

I pushed the Closed Captioning button 7 more times. 

Nothing.

Sigh….well, there was nothing else for me to do except turn the movie off.

 

Just kidding!! 



I still watched the entire movie…… with Closed Captioning. 

 In fact, I watched it 3 more times later on that week.

And truth be told, I actually started to love the narrator’s voice in the background!? 

She made it so damn easy for me to step away from the TV while still being completely immersed in the movie.

Jakes eases himself up on the ledge to peek in the window.  He gapes at Jane enjoying herself, and then stands up on his tiptoes to gaze at her butt when she leans over the island.
 
 I chuckled to myself as I pictured the scenario perfectly.

 When Jane and Adam break into laughter, Jake mocks them. 

 Again I snickered…….and I was still nowhere in sight of the television.  Amazing!

 Adam notes something in the window and Jake loses his footing and tumbles.

 I burst out laughing.

This was absolutely incredible.  I didn’t have to even LOOK at the TV.  In fact, I really didn’t have to do anything!  My life had just become 10 times easier!  Why had I never heard of this amazing channel before!?

 

“Babe!!”  my best friend yelled at me when I told her about my new obsession with the AMI channel, “You literally just found yet another way to be LAZY!!!”

My mouth dropped,  “No I didn’t!!”  I whined back.

“Yes you did!  That channel is for people who are blind.  You are NOT blind!”

 

Pffftttt…..what was she talking about!?  She was being preposterous!!  I was many things….but lazy???  C'mon!!!

 

Later that week, as I continued watching shows on the AMI network, a commercial came on.

 

Every year thousands of people fall down the stairs.  Well, Acorn Stair Lifts has a solution.  Just don’t fall!  Sit, relax, and ride up your stairs with an Acorn Stair Lift!

 

Hmmmm…..a stair lift…….?

 

Why had I never thought of that before?!






Oh Dammit!!




















Comments

  1. Bhahahah! I love this one! So ridiculous...66% of the time😉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h