Skip to main content

Molly Mommy date night!



As a single mom to 2 young girls, it is very important for me to be able to spend quality alone time with each child.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in family time also, and very often the girls and I sing that we're the "three best friends that anyone could have".   BUT there is nothing quite like bonding with your child all by him or herself and really getting to know who that little person is without any other siblings, friends or distractions.

As a single mom, you can imagine how difficult it is to get that alone time with just one child.  I mean..... what do you do with the other kid?? You can't just let them go for a super long walk by themselves......or....leave them at Starbucks for a couple hours.  I mean, everyone knows it takes only 20 minutes to finish a medium-sized caramel macchiato, sometimes less.  What's the kid gonna do with the remaining 2 1/2 hours!??

But nonetheless, as a self-professed super mom (more like Ridiculous Mom!) I will always figure out a way to get that alone time with just the one child.  And whatever I figure out will always be legal!  Yay!!  Go Ridiculous Mom! 




I'll never forget the date night last year in which Molly and I really took our relationship to the next level.

When I asked Molly what she wanted to do, she immediately suggested a stay-in movie night.

Perfect!  I loved that idea!

I then gave Molly the very important choice of which movie we would watch.  She took this job VERY seriously.

She scrolled through Netflix with her tiny little fingers while muttering "hmmmm" every few seconds.

She finally yelled "Mommy!  Have you ever seen "Alice frew da lookin' dlass???"

I hadn't.  And I had actually always wanted to see that movie!!  


Fast forward 2 hours, and I was a balling mess in Molly's arms wailing "He FINALLY got reconnected with his familyyyyyyy!!!  WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!"  

Molly put her little arm around me and said, "It's ok Mommy" and then she giggled quietly ;)



I really couldn't believe how fun date nights were with my 6 year old.  And every chance we got to share this special time together, we took full advantage.  Some nights we'd go out for dinner first, but all of our date nights ended with Molly and I snuggled on the couch watching a movie at home :)

Just a couple weekends ago, Lola (my eldest daughter), was invited to her best friend's house for a sleepover.  Another fun Molly-Mommy date was on the horizon.  I couldn't wait!  It would be perfect!  

Or so I thought.....



That night It was my turn to choose the movie.  I slowly, yet excitedly scrolled through Netflix muttering "hmmmm...." every few seconds.

Suddenly, I found it!!  I yelled, "MOLLY!!!  What about Star Wars????  The Force Awakens???!!"

Molly and I had been dying to watch Star Wars.  I had never been a Star Wars fan growing up, so I thought this was the perfect time for us both to get into the series. 

We started at The Force Awakens rather than at the beginning because Molly was desperate to watch the "one with Ray!!!".

Her eyes widened and she grinned as she ran over to her Barbie bucket and pulled out the Ray doll that my mom had bought her for Christmas.


A short while later, Molly was reenacting all of Ray's moves on my jutted out hip while I happily laid on the couch beside her.


Everything was going great.....UNTIL Molly started asking questions.  

A little thing you should know about Molly is that she talks ALL the time.  She is either explaining things, asking about things or demanding things.  That last one is NOT my favourite.

This time, it was ALL questions:

Molly:  "Mommy, so who is Luke Sky Walker?"

me:  "Ummm......I'm not sure.  But I know they're looking for him."

Molly:  "Who's looking for him??  The bad guys??"

me:  "Ummmm......yes.  I think so.  I think the good guys are looking for him too."

Molly:  "But WHO is Luke Sky Walker??  And is he a JEDI??"

me:   "Uhhhhhhh......."

Suddenly Harrison Ford appears on screen.  

Oh my God!  Harrison Ford!  Yes, I almost forgot about him!!!!  I instantly remembered that he was a huge character in the Star Wars series.

me:  "Molly!!!"  I yell proudly, "THAT is Luke Sky Walker!!!"

Molly:  "Dat guy???"

me:  "Yes!!  I am 100% sure THAT is Luke Sky Walker".

Suddenly, someone calls Harrison Ford  "Hans".  

Oh crap.

me...again:  "Molly.  Sorry.  That is NOT Luke Sky Walker.  THAT is Hans Solo."

Molly:  "Oh.  Who's Hans Solo??? Is HE a Jedi??  And what's a Jedi??  Is Ray a Jedi??  Oh yes...I think Ray is the LAST Jedi.  That's what the kids at school keep saying at recess when we play Star Wars........."


At this point I sighed and slowly walked over to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of wine. 


Because God only knew that I would not survive this movie without it.


I took a sip hoping the questions would stop, but of course they didn't:


Molly:  (pointing at Darth Vader.....or at least I thought he was.  Either way, he was Hannah's boyfriend from Season 1 of GIRLS.)  "Mommy.  Is dat Darth Vadow??"

me:  "Uhmmmmm.....yes.   But...I think....he's like.....a grandkid of Darth's or something??"

Molly:  "He's Darth Vadow's grandson????  How do you know??"


I slowly put my head in my hands and whispered  "I don't.  I don't f'ing know......"



At one point I thought Ray was Luke Sky Walker in disguise.....THEN I thought Darth Vader was Luke Sky Walker.  Or Darth's grandkid was Luke Sky Walker.  Why was this movie sooooooo confusing!!?????


For the last 15 minutes of the movie Molly had stopped asking me questions.

She could see that I was clearly hopeless and had no clue what the hell I was talking about.

At this point in time, I was resting my head on the kitchen table just waiting for the movie to be over.  I looked up at the TV just in time to see Ray climb the top of the huge mountain and come face to face with a grey-haired man.

Without thinking, I pointed my hand at the TV and blurted out, "Now who the HECK is that????"

Molly rolled her eyes and said, "Mommy!!  THAT'S LUKE SKY WALKER!!!!"



I sighed out loud, drank the last sip of my wine and told Molly to head upstairs for bed.


As Molly skipped happily up the stairs she said "That movie was the BEST!!  I can't wait to watch the next one on our next date night!!!"



And all I could think was.....



May the Force be with me.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h