Skip to main content

Boys will be boys.




As I'm sure you all know by now, I love to dance.  

I mean....I REALLY love to dance. 

Anytime I am invited out to shake my tail feather, I will almost always go.........unless I have my girls that weekend.  And then I will not go.

Because another thing you should also know about me is that I need at least 10 hours of sleep immediately following a night on the town for my body to recover.  And that is totally impossible with a 3 year old who thinks it's hilarious to wake her Mommy up at the crack of dawn >:(


It should come as no surprise to you then that when my sister invited me out to go dancing with her and her friends for her birthday, and also conveniently the same weekend that the girls would be with their dad,  I was already trying on all of my stilettos while texting back YES!!


Not only do I love to dance, but I also love the party scene.  

There is a certain energy that comes with being out in Toronto for the night.  It's like an electric hum that manages to sustain your giddiness and excitement until the wee hours of the morning.

I remember a long time ago asking my old Polish Aunt why she loved living in Toronto so much.  She just closed her eyes, did a little dance and pursed her lips into a tight smile.  She then said "Ven I get off da street-car, I feel ALIVE!!"

Only a night on the town in a big city can create that kind of crazy buzz and energy.  For me at least :)



As we entered the bar, I quickly scanned the room to see what the evening had in store for us.  I needed to digest everything about the place.....the music, the vibe, the crowd, the drinks, the bartenders ....and the boys.

Ohhh, the boys!!

It had soon become very clear that we had gone to one of those night-crawling locations which held a cornucopia of men.  



In the five hours that we were there, I had soon realized 5 different types of guys.  

I will now breakdown each group for you for your reading pleasure.  


Enjoy!


The preppy guy
 
Within 2 minutes of arriving, our good friend Bianka had already found my future husband.

"Leo!!  3 o'clock. Tall hottie.  He's PERFECT for you!!"

I looked over and saw a perfectly-tall, perfectly-coifed and perfectly-dressed man having a perfect drink with his perfect buddies.

Yes, I had to admit....she was pretty bang-on with what I was looking for.  Bianka was perfectly good at that :)

I was definitely interested.  Until I realized that the guy had no game.  He followed us around nonchalantly but made no real efforts to actually talk to us.  He came super close and then ran off when my sister pulled out her famous 80's dance moves.  

Hey - if you're not gonna stick around for Pump up the Jam....there's no future for us.


The Frenchie

Soon enough we got to chatting with a French guy.  

Wait.  Let me re-phrase.  

A guy visiting from Montreal.  

Not that's there's anything WRONG with Montreal.  I love Montreal. It's just that the guy kept saying that he was worried about his cousin, who was also visiting from Montreal, because "it iz so different here in TO-ronto." 

Gimme a break. You're from Montreal!  Not PARIS!!

Anyway, a quick whisper to my sister and we had continued on our way.


The Wild and Crazy Guys

We were soon approached by pure mayhem.  The wild and crazy guys are the guys that act totally absurd, dance like wild turkeys, and dress in the most ridiculous clothes in order to attract the utmost attention from the opposite sex.

My sister and I were taken aback when these 2 guys had thrown themselves into our dance group.  One of them wearing a fur vest and the other, standing at 4 feet tall, dancing around the fur vest guy screaming "ISN'T HE THE COOLEST??  HE PLAYS IN THE NHL!  HE'S SO WILD!  LOOK HIM UP ON GOOGLE!  HE'S THE BEST!!"

Hmmm.   I wasn't sure what was going on here.  

Was the little guy trying to sell us on the big guy?? Or was he secretly in love with the big guy himself????

We left them both to figure out the dynamics of their relationship.



The Lawyers

By the end of the night, we found ourselves standing near the bar and next to 2 normal looking guys.  Within a short time, we were all telling stories and cracking jokes.  These guys were cool.  They were not too preppy, not too Frenchie and not too crazy.  They were fun, but not too fun.  They were silly, but not too silly. 

They seemed like nice, smart guys.

Everything was going fine .....until............. it happened.  



That thing that ALWAYS seems to happen to me.  

Just when everything was nice and quiet and "safe".....I made the mistake of looking up and seeing the sexiest guy I had ever seen.


And that brings to me to my final category of the night.....


The Bartender

As the lawyer went on and on about his recent trip to Peru, I caught myself  staring at this beautiful person behind the bar.   

With his shoulder-length locks, perfectly chiseled features and a body to die for, he was almost a spit image of Jared Leto.


I took another sip of my drink when the lawyer said,

"We know that guy."



Shoot.  Busted!!  


I had been caught.


"Sorry what?"  I said laughing and looking down, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"The bartender.  We know him.  He's a great guy.   Really sweet".



I didn't know if hearing that made me feel better or worse.  

Because a part of me wanted to hear that the guy was a total douche so that I would just stop staring and move on.


Dammit! 

I wish I wasn't such a sucker for a cute boy.  Life would be sooo much easier.

This was stupid.  

I was being stupid!

We were about to leave anyway.   I needed to get out of this bar.



I took another sip of my gin and 7, only to realize that it was already finished.





And then I thought......what's one more drink?


;)





 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa