Skip to main content

Isn't it ironic?






You know when you know something about yourself but you don't really reflect on it much?  It's just something that's in your personality and reveals itself only when the time calls for it.  

Kind of like a pot sitting on the back-burner.  Without thinking much of it, the pot quietly warms your food while you tend to other things.  But then, at a certain time, you pull that dish forward and use it to complete your meal. Otherwise.... well, your meal wouldn't be perfect.


My dish, or vice as I prefer to call it, comes in the form of a particular type of energy between 2 people...... 




In the past 2 years, I have been happily single.  I am in zero rush to find that next person in my life, because the few days every now and then that I get to be alone, I greatly cherish.  I am not interested in being in a relationship, but I do enjoy the search.



As I've mentioned in a past blog, I joined Match.com in an effort to attract a tall, smart, educated, funny, knows-how-to-cook, family-oriented, hard-working, romantic, looking for the love of his life... man.  


I know what you're thinking.   

 
He should also have a full head of hair.  

Yes...I totally agree. 


Anyway, as soon as I joined, I was overwhelmed with the response.  I suddenly had men "winking" at me, "liking" my photos and sending me sweet little messages, "hey there beautiful" .... 

For the most part, there were some pretty solid guys.  

There were also the ones that called themselves "maplefart" and "69forlife"....but let's save those guys for another blog entry discussion, shall we?

I enjoyed getting to know the guys who, on paper, seemed to have everything I was looking for.


Well.....almost everything.



And this is where my vice comes in to play.  In the midst of connecting with these new guys.....my proverbial pot on the back-burner had suddenly been moved forward and had become the main dish in the menu.   

Suddenly, it became very clear to me that there was something that I absolutely needed to have in a potential relationship. 

I didn't think it was such a big deal to me until I realized with these men that it was missing.


That missing thing........chemistry.  


The energy and spark that can take a couple from the "friends" level to something much more interesting.

And even though, these men had so many of the qualities I was looking for, it still wasn't enough for me.


The chemistry wasn't there.


Without it, hence without the last dish, your menu is incomplete.  


Your dinner ends up being simple, plain and boring.   

And Leo doesn't do simple, plain and boring :)



-----------------------------------------------------


It was Saturday night and I was getting ready for my date.   I applied a light-mauve lipstick and tousled my hair a bit.  I was going for a casual but sexy look.

I took one last glance in the mirror before leaving and figured that the look I had been striving for had finally been achieved.  

It was time to go.....and see what the night had in store for me.




When I finally got to our meeting place, my date was already standing at the door and waiting for me.  

One look at him and I bit my lower lip and smiled.  The only word that registered in my head was "dammnnnnnn"!


He was wearing a shirt that very clearly defined what was underneath it, and it took me a moment to realize that I was not staring at his face as I walked towards him.  

When I finally looked up, I noticed that his hair was on the shorter side, but slightly tousled as well.  Apparently we both got the memo to strive for 'casual and sexy' tonight.




We were finally face to face.  

And I felt at that moment that what I had been longing for recently, and what was missing with the other guys, was VERY present between the 2 of us.
 
And even though it had been a very long time since we last saw each other, it had felt like no time had passed at all.  

Clearly he felt it too, because he couldn't even wait until after dinner before stealing a very, yummy kiss.




The friend who once said to me  "I had a dream about you last night" still had a way of making my spine tingle every time I was with him.  A guy who managed to change our once very platonic friendship into something that was much more delicious.  All with those 8 simple little words.  

And although we don't see each other often, there is some sort of chemical attraction that continues to pull us back together when too much time has passed.

Something that we are both very aware of ....and something that we both never ignore.


Now THAT'S chemistry.


----------------------------------------------


In a world where everyone is dying to know who you're with and what your status is, it's nice to keep a few little secrets to yourself.  

To skip out of town, without anyone knowing. To share a delicious weekend with someone beautiful and be able to forget about life and all of it's stresses.....

Well, I'll just say that for me.....it takes a really hot dish to change up the menu like that ;)

-------------------------------------------------



As we lay there contently, him running his fingers up and down my arm, he suddenly asks me:

"Do you remember when we met?"

I shook my head no and made a funny face.  

He laughed.  He of all people knew how horrible my memory was!

He continued on....

"I cracked a joke and you were the only one that laughed at it"

I laughed out loud, thinking that was definitely something I would do.  Since day one I always thought he was the funniest guy.



"Yeah.  I remember that day perfectly" he continued,  "In chemistry class."




Well, isn't that ironic?  


;)




















For the prequel to this journey, click on the following:




It all starts with a dream




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h