Skip to main content

She didn't know.



......continued from last blog entry .......




I'll never forget my first Tragically Hip concert.  

My good friend Bill gave me a concert ticket for my birthday almost 20 years ago.  I wasn't exactly thrilled about it though.  I would have much rather preferred a new jean jacket, or a new pair of Ray Bans.  But alas, I was given this ticket, so I decided to make the best of it. 


I didn't really know who "The Hip" were back then.  Only that they were some band that were adored by almost every living Canadian.  I didn't really know why.  I heard a few of their songs..... they were ok.....but who's kidding who, they were no Guns N' Roses.

Bill was obsessed with The Hip, and so were all of his buddies who we went with to the concert.  It was fun to watch how excited they were before the show.   It was like it was going to be some monumental moment for them or something?


The lights in the concert hall suddenly went down.  The screams of anticipation began.  The band took their place on stage.  And then out walked the lead singer Gord Downie.  The crowd lost their minds.  

And then, something magical happened.  Gord Downie began to sing.  And at that moment, music had changed for me forever.


---------------------------

We had jumped into another cab after our fabulous Steve Aoki pool party. We were exhausted.  But it was 6pm, and we only had 3 hours to freshen up and eat some dinner before our next huge event.

Mike had somehow found a place to change outfits and sunglasses - his theme was now "hot pink". 

After an incredible gourmet meal, we were off to see the Wizard.....I mean, the Hip!

The 3rd cab of the day dropped us off at the Bridal Path.  One of the most exclusive and wealthy residential areas in Toronto.  

"That's as close as I can get you guys" said the cab driver. "The tour bus and security are blocking the entrance.

My sister pinched my arm and whispered "eeeeek!".

We walked excitedly towards the security guards and flashed our VIP tickets.  I felt like Wayne or Garth in the movie Wayne's World when they proudly show their VIP passes to everyone in the audience as they made their way backstage to meet Alice Cooper.

We were at yet another unbelievable home.  How people live in these giant mansions is just beyond.  We made our way to the backyard where The Hip's crew was putting on the finishing touches to the stage.

"Guys!  Let's go to the pool!"  yelled Mike who was already holding 4 gin and 7's for us.

I looked around the property.  Where was the pool?  The backyard ended just beyond the stage.

"Guys!  Down here!"  Mike motioned with his head towards the bushes and then disappeared.

Where did he go?  

I quickly followed in his direction towards the landscaping and then suddenly I found myself standing at the top of a massive staircase leading down a huge cliff.  The staircase lead us to the pool and a huge pool-house that was transformed into a bar for the evening.  A DJ booth was set up to the side blaring 80's hits.  I realized then that Mike was bang-on with his hot pink attire.  

Waitresses walked by us holding trays with shot glasses.  It took me a minute to realize that they are completely topless and that their shirts were actually painted on.  We were definitely in OZ!

An hour of dancing and drinking and then it was time to make our way out of the "grotto" and back up to the stage area. 



The crowd waited patiently for Gord and his band-mates.  You could cut the tension in the air with a knife.  We knew they were close.  Not by the tour bus that we saw earlier,  but rather by the energy that we could feel in the air.  

And then............they arrived.  

Gord walked up onto the stage slowly.  He was wearing a 3-piece suit and a hat.  His energy and presence were magnetic. He hadn't sung a word yet and I was already hypnotized.  And then.....Gord's magical and elaborate performance had begun.  I was immediately transported back to that first concert with Bill.  Remembering how it felt like to see someone perform with such raw emotion and passion for the very first time.

And with each song that they sang over the next 2 hours, I was taken back to a different time and place in my life.

Songs like "Twist my Arm" and "She didn't know" took me back to my younger days, partying and laughing at the bar with all of my friends.  Songs like "Bobcaygeon" and "Long Time Running" filled me with warm and happy thoughts of sharing stories around the bonfire at the cottage.
  


I believe that there are a very few bands in your life that really affect you.  Bands that put out music that really get into your soul.....that either take you away to a magical place so far from your present life, or sing about your life as if the lead singer knew you and knew what you were going through at that exact moment.

We didn't take our eyes off the stage for longer than 30 seconds, only to look at each other while belting out lyrics that we had memorized over the decades of listening to this amazing Canadian band.


After 2 encore performances, the show had sadly come to end. The band walked off the stage while waving good-bye.   I watched them leave, whispering "nooo" under my breath,  until they finally disappeared into the dark.

---------------------------

That night, back at home, I washed off my face, along with my ruby red lipstick.  

I was back in Kansas, and the day's events were a blur.  Almost like it was all a dream.

But I knew it had happened.  My day in OZ was real. And I would never forget it.


I laid my head on my pillow, closed my eyes, and with a smile, thought about where I wanted to be transported to next...........and who would take me there :) 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h