Skip to main content

If we don't need you, why are you there?



I need to start off this entry by apologizing to my fan base.  I know that all 15 of you were extremely disappointed to see.....or rather......not see, a blog entry from me last week.  But before you hate me, I have a very good excuse.

I, literally, had a part of me removed last week.

Last Monday afternoon I was rushed to the emergency room with severe abdominal pains.  In my tragic state, I barely made it out of bed and barely made it down the stairs.  But as sick as I was, I still momentarily stopped to think about whether I should put on some makeup.  I knew with all of the pain I was feeling, I couldn't hold a makeup brush to save my life, but there was a very good chance I would meet a cute doctor there.

Hmmmmm? 

Ahh, Screw it.  

The thought of applying lipstick, even pale pink, made me stomach churn.  This was bad!  I needed to get to the hospital.  And stat! 


Mama was about to open the front door for me when I yelled STOP!

She jumped back 2 feet and put her hand to her heart, "VAT??"

I had my hands on my knees and took a big breath of air to speak.

"My cute neighbour is outside.  Let's wait til he leaves."




The rest of my 6 days at the hospital can only be summarized in my next top 20 :)



Please enjoy.




1.  No one in the hospital could pronounce my full name, which is Leokadia.   I was called Cady, Lee and my all-time favorite, Cadillac.

2.  After 6 hours of puking, drinking weird liquids, being put through strange large machines, I am told that I need emergency surgery.  Whaaaa??

3.  I meet my surgeon.  A young, handsome doctor named Dr. Ward.  My favorite actor on Marvel's Agents of Shield is named Ward.  Coincidence?  I think not. 
Why....why didn't I put on some lipstick??  I KNEW this would happen!  Didn't I tell you this would happen??

4.  I beg the nurse to grab my cell for me as I'm being rolled into the OR room.  I text my sister as I'm being injected with the anesthetic.  Mishi.  I'm having emergency surgery.  It's serious.  It's for jadflsjic;ap;kdfhljfgiohgajgka;zzzzzz

5.  I wake up in my new room.  My room-mate is a chipper 73-year old woman named Maurine who immediately be-friends me and starts telling me about her many lovers.

6.  After whining to Mama on day 3 that I'm "over this" and I want to go home, Mama calls me a "sissy".

7.  There is an old woman on our floor who squawks like a parrot when she's upset.  OR...perhaps there was a vet on site.  I was heavily-sedated so I have yet to figure that one out.

8.  I have not eaten in 4 days.  The nurses don't think this is a big deal.  They must also think I'm a sissy.

9.  On the plus side, everyone thinks I'm 28 years old, including Dr.Ward :)  Note to self:  this whole no-makeup thing may not be so bad after all.

10.  The nurses keep telling me to get up and walk around.  I keep saying "No thanks, my Mom just got me TV".

11.  I finally give in and go for a stupid walk.  On one of my very slow walks around the floor, one of the male nurses puts his hands up and says "Whoa!  Slow down buddy!  haha!"  
I go back to my TV.  Stupid male nurse.

12.  Maurine is well enough to leave.  I am sad to see her go.  I will miss her sexual stories.  My second room-mate is a teen girl who sneaks in her 40-year old boyfriend at night.  What is with this room?

13.  I finally have gathered up enough courage to look at my stomach.  The incisions are bandaged up, but the rest of my stomach is beet red all over.  Mama convinces me that it is because I burnt my stomach on my heating pad at home.  Petrified of scars, I gently coat my belly in aloe vera gel every night before bed.  Turns out that the "red" was just solution rubbed on my belly right before surgery.  The nurse laughs so hard at our heating pad-theory while she rubs off the ink with her finger and shows me. 
Oh yeah......it's ALL fun and jokes when you're not the one lying in bed!

14.  My hair starts to form a life of its own.  I take it out of its bun, and it stays......in the exact spiral I formed it in 4 days earlier.  I am now confident that there is a vet on site, because I see a family of squirrels and 2 chipmunks go running out of my blonde mane.  
Reminder...I was HEAVILY sedated.
  
15.  One of the most difficult challenges of the week was when my slipper would slip just out of reach under the bed. And I, under my sedation, and hooked up to an elaborate intravenous machine, and being barely covered in hospital gowns, sat, trying to fish this slipper out for over 1/2 hour.  
I finally got it!  Great success!! (said in Borat voice)

16.  From my lack of ingestion, I lose the 10 pounds that I just recently put on.  So my Kim Kardashian badonk has left the building once more.  But not to fret my friends!  I have created, for myself, a diet rich in BLT's and Peak Freans Fruit Creme cookies that is sure to bring me right back on track in no time.  But thank you for your concern

17.  An old guy on our floor wakes up screaming every morning at 4am.  It shoots me out of the bed and onto the ceiling like a terrified cat everyday.

18.  3 puncture wounds in my stomach

19.  2 gross antibiotics



And FINALLY, the reason I ended up in the hospital in the first place.  


And also, for your added entertainment, and because I love class participation so much, please sing this part as you would sing the last line in "Twelve Days of Christmas"....the partridge in a pear tree part.......ok....go.....



20.  AND 1 RUPTURED APPENDIX RE-MOVEDDDDDDDDDD!!  :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h