Skip to main content

The anniversary.

On August 20th, it will be exactly 1 year since I separated from my ex-husband.

A lot has happened in the past year.   Without divulging any details......let's just say that it hasn't been the easiest year of my life.  No.  Let's say that it has been the worst year of my life.  No, I can't say that either.  Hmmmm.....let's just say that my life has COMPLETELY changed in the past year. 

When life throws you a challenge, you have no choice but to run with it.  If you don't, you get trampled.  In my case, I would have gotten trampled by a herd of lions chasing a gazelle!!   (I'm the gazelle, if you didn't figure it out.  I kind of look like a gazelle actually.  No.....maybe a giraffe.  I'm not limber and sleek and fast like a gazelle.......I'm more awkward like a tall giraffe.  Not even an adult giraffe....I'm like a tall, awkward, newborn, baby giraffe.  Ok......I digress.......)

So for the past year, I was thrown numerous challenges.  All of which I had to figure out how to deal with on the spot, or....I would get "trampled".

So I'm happy to report that not only have I successfully survived the last year, but I have grown leaps and bounds. I am starting to figure out who I am again, and I'm kind of liking this person............a lot!

It's funny because divorce not only affects the 2 parties who have just separated, but it also affects both sets of families and all of your once-mutual friends.  Very quickly did I realize that there had become a divide.  This was very weird for me.  Actually....now that I think of it....no one really prepares you on the challenges of divorce.  There should be a book.  "So you're getting divorced.  Hang on!  You're in for the ride of your life!!"  or...."Getting Separated?  Good Luck!!"   

Stories about the separation were flying all over the place and people were deciding who to stand beside and support.  I'm happy to announce that my friends did not waiver.  In fact, the bonds between me and all of my friends grew stronger and stronger with each challenge I had to face.  And recently, a lot of old "mutual"  friends........ who I thought were gone forever, have suddenly come forward to show me their love and support.  It's been an over-whelming display of love to say the least.

And in the past 6 months, I have slowly started crawling out of that dark room that I wrote about almost a year ago.  To my surprise, when I crawled to the door and opened it, I saw a world of opportunities and a new future.  When I looked to my left, I saw my amazingly supportive sister, who has shown me a whole new side to how tough she can actually be.....despite weighing no more than a chihuahua.  This girl has had "my back" like no one else.  To my right, was my beautiful Mama, who has overcome and lived each and everyone of the challenges with me....as if she was going through them on her own.  I would never have survived without her.  AND... she has also reminded me how God-damn funny she is!  Her little quips and jokes have had me falling off chairs in public places laughing my ass off!!   I find myself saying to my sister everyday "Do you even realize how funny Mama is????"  

In front of me, were, of course, my 2 little angels.  My baby girls who are dealing with their own set of challenges in this divorce.  I will stop at nothing to make sure they are safe and happy.  I was recently called a "Fierce Momma"......and I will stand behind that title until my dying day.

But despite everything my girls are going through, they still find the happiness and exuberance to belt out "Barbie and the Popstar" lyrics and in a moment, they whisk me away to a world of pink and purple!

Surrounding these 3 groups of people, are of course, my BFF, my Brother and his family and my close friends and family, who have, over the past year, stopped their own lives to come to my rescue.  I will never be able to repay them for such selflessness.

So, here I am, one year in, and feeling a bit lighter, a bit happier, and getting very excited for what continues to lie ahead.  And although I have been sucked into a horrible court process ......and against all wishes, will continue to be stuck in it for a while......(I'll blog about this topic at a later time!), I finally see what the world has to offer.  And it is GOOD!

For in the past 6 months, I have pulled myself out of my comfort zone and I am having an excellent time.  Day trips on my friend's boat, cottage trips with the kids, mingling with millionaires and Gord Downie, hilarious play-dates, dancing, singing, get togethers with old friends, water-skiing, writing......the list goes on and on.

For what else should a single girl do with a whole new world waiting at her doorstep?  (This is where Lola would belt out "A whole NEW WORLDDDD!!!  A new fantastic point of view......!")

So stay tuned.....because this ridiculous girl has a lot of stories to tell.  Some of them hilarious, some of them a little sad, and some of them involving a beautiful man named Ricky :)















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h