Skip to main content

Baiters

I love how kids live in the moment.

They have the ability to channel what they're feeling without any other cares in the world.  And one of the most interesting qualities about children, I think,  is their ability to fall in love with people the minute they meet them, regardless of who these other little people are.

Just recently I took the girls to the library.  Lola, my social butterfly, immediately meets another girl her age and they start coloring together.  When I walk over to check out her drawings, she excitedly announces "Mommy!  This is Madelaine!  My new BEST FRIEND!"
I start laughing.
Only a 4-year old would make a new best friend within 2 minutes of meeting her.

2 days later, we meet our new neighbor and his 2 little girls.  Tim comes over and introduces himself.  Lola is already jumping off her bike, staring at the girls the entire time, with her mouth wide open.
"Hi.  I'm Lola.  What's your name?", she says in a very matter-of-fact way.
The little girl quietly answers, "Emily".
"MOMMY!"  she yells, "Did you meet my new best friend Emily??"

Lola's ability to be-friend people so quickly makes me think about adults and how easy or difficult it is for US to meet new "best friends".

I think about a girls night I went to with my BFF years ago.  On the drive down to the restaurant, she tells me that we gotta "tone it down for this event ok??".  I start laughing.  This is not the first time I've heard her say this to me.

My BFF and I tend to get loud and rowdy.....very often actually.    I don't think we ever become "inappropriate", we just get really silly and goofy.  I personally think we're lovely :)  And we've been best friends for over a decade......so as long as we have fun.....we don't really care what other people think.

However, my BFF and I know  that at certain events, we CANNOT show our true personalities right from the get-go.  That would be SUICIDE with a new group of "potential friends"!

But we don't take this personally.  My BFF and I understand very well that not everyone is like us.  So we know, that with a new group of people, or a group that we already know is much more .....ummm.....how shall I put it......."subdued".....we need to take it down a notch.  Otherwise our chance of "be-friending" those new people is just a complete write-off! 

As a child, you just wanna have fun.  You go to the park, the Y, school....  you meet other kids, and you just have fun together.  As an adult, however, we cannot be so naive to believe that everyone out there and everyone you meet has your best interests at heart or wants to be your "true"  friend.  I learned that the hard way when I became friends with my Doula.  Big mistake.  Her and my ex-husband are living together now.

As an adult, you have to be cautious.  Very cautious.   You can't become friends with just anyone who smiles at you.  And especially the people that very quickly "integrate" themselves into your family.  I started reading a book by my good friend and colleague Dr.Phil.  He's been wanting me to plug this book on my blog for awhile.  I guess I can understand....what with my blog being so ridiculously popular right now.  So I said to him....."sure".  Sure Dr.Phil.  But I did ask him to stop talking about his stupid son Jay and his publishing company.  The whole Goddam world knows about Jay and his publishing company Phil!!

Anyhoo....I digress.   The book is quite brilliant.  It talks about "baiters".  People who "bait" you into becoming their friends for the sole purpose of getting something out of it for themselves.  These baiters will look at your husband, kids, business, cars, reputation, etc. and decide that they want it for themselves and will stop at absolutely NOTHING to get it.  I like to call them snakes.  I don't know why.  Snakes just seems appropriate.  These people are ugly and slimy like snakes too!

Anyway, my eyes are finally open.  I will never be "baited" into another situation again.  I will teach my kids how to watch out for these snakes, because as Dr.Phil says.....we live in a different world than the one our parents grew up in.  And it is our responsibility as parents to teach our little ones not to get taken advantage of.  

Bottom line is I will NEVER again become friends with someone if I have a strange "baitey" feeling about them.  

And thank God that I'm done with having kids.  Because I will NEVER in my life use a DOULA again!!!
















Comments

  1. I want to make a master baiter joke - your BFF would make me tone it down. But really. this is a good article making really good points. Trust your gut and proceed with caution and always be yourself. And also really your doula? WTF. Vaginas and babies and those who are welcomed into the realm of those two areas of ones life should know better. sacrilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Mother Ship!! lol. There is nothing sacred about what's going on there.... on another note, love seeing the world through your eyes Leo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing:) Much of the world is going to hell in a hand basket and there are so many nasty people out there that can take advantage of kindness. Fortunately there are also many extraordinary, strong and caring people like yourself that make the world a better place. We need to keep the snakes with the snakes and the ridiculously fabulous need to stick together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h