Skip to main content

To be.....or to botox?

So from my first blog entry, you know that I am in my mid-30's.  This age will not be repeated to you again.  So remember it from now on.  In fact, I might start doing what my brother started ages ago, and that's to go backwards with each birthday..........I think he's like 12 now.  Not really effective, but kind of makes you feel better.  Anyway, I digress.  With this empowering age, I have started to show signs of  .....gulp....aging.  THERE!  I said it!!!  I am admitting to the world that I have those horrible lines across my forehead and 2 "up and down" lines between my eyebrows.  They're all disgusting.  I will climb up onto the bathroom counter at night and stare at them.  They look better when you douse your face in thick moisturizing night cream.......so of course I do that prior to the observation period.  But either way, it's no good. 
So I'm out with my BFF one day, and she, next to my immediate family, is my WORLD.  Everyone needs a best friend like her.  She is funny, beautiful and motivates me to always be doing more with my life.  Anyway, we're sitting at the salon getting pedicures one day, and we've left the kids with the hubbies, so this is NOT a relaxing endaevour.  We are literally trying to hit 30 topics in 30 minutes.  Impossible for the average man, a gift for the average mother.  We know that at any minute our hubbies will be texting us "how much longer?"  "where are you??"  "the baby just pooped....will you be back soon to change her diaper??"   Honestly. 
She looks at me abruptly and points to her forehead and says in an almost angry growl "ummm, can we please talk about what's happening here??"  I have known her for decades, I know exactly what she's talking about.  I answer her with a giant sigh...."don't even go there.....have you looked at my wrinkles???  It's tragic."  "Is this what kids and marriage does to you??" she asks "yes!!!" I yell. The Korean girl doing our nails (who is probably our age and has flawless looking skin) looks up at us and smiles.  I try to ignore her because at this moment I hate her.  I turn our discussion into a whisper (which, is insanely hard for a loud-mouth like me)...."did I tell you about my cousin???"  She shakes her head but her eyes widen with excitement.  "Well, I saw her at the cottage.  You know her right?  The one that resembles Bridget Bardot.  Gorgeous woman.  Always looks a decade younger than her age, but now at 45 is starting to show slight signs of wear and tear.  Anyway, I'm talking to her and I'm thinking the whole time...she looks FANTASTIC!!!  So I blurt out VANESSA!!!  You look unbelievable!!!!!  And she responds, in her sultry, low voice "I know....my doctor thinks so too!"  I gasp!  "what??  botox???"  She proudly smirks without raising her eyebrows, because.....well...she can't!  "How much??"  I demand.  Her hubby looks up from his card game and announces that if he knew how cheap it was, he'd let her get it ages ago!"  I gage my BFF's reaction...."sooo....what do you think??  should we try???"  She replies, "At that price, hell ya!!!!!!!"
So here I am.....months later....and I can't get it out of my mind. We have not taken the plunge just yet. A part of me is so scared to end up like Courtney Cox.  That poor beauty is such a far cry from her expressive days of Monica yelling  "I KNOW!!!!!" on Friends.  Or what about Nicole Kidman.  Good Lord.  That woman couldn't raise her eyebrows if her life depended on it.  And don't even get me started on her lips.  But ....I would be different.  I wouldn't become obsessed with it.  Nooooo.  It would just be a little injection here.....maybe another one there......just to smooth things up..... ya know?   But what would everyone think??  I am always terrified of that. 
All I know is that it can't get worse.....and logically....I know it will.  My husband doesn't even want to hear about it.  "But you're beautiful sweetheart.  What lines?  You look better than you've ever looked!!"  urgh!  Why is he so loving??  Men will NEVER understand the aging process us women must endure. 
So as the days progress, I constantly hear the voices in my head "you know you'll look better........your husband will love it...........everyone, everywhere will tell you how amazing you look....you'll finally be the image of your perfect glamorous self....."  "Mommy??"  I snap out of my Hollywood daydream.......my toddler is calling from her playroom, "yes angel???"  "I love you Mommy".  sigh.  Maybe I'll wait a little bit longer.  It's not important right now :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h