Skip to main content

Standing in the Dark.






“Are you sitting comfortably??  ….then we’ll begin.”

Song:   It Doesn’t Really Matter.

Artist:  Platinum Blonde.




It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table.


My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced.


Molly and I looked up startled.


Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!”


I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon.




Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.  Songs like Standing in the Dark, It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's.


I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend this once in a lifetime event with me.


I knew that Lola would be game.  After all, she’s always up for a party, but Molly…..she was a different story.  If Molly wasn’t interested in going to this event, then she would make 100% sure that none of us went.



I had to ask her very carefully.  This was definitely a “Situation Critical”.  



When I cautiously asked Molly whether she would attend a concert with me tonight, she didn’t even look up from her coloring book.  She just asked one simple question:  “What kind of music do dey play?”


Just at that moment, I overheard 80’s music playing on the radio so I answered excitedly, “Like this!!  Like the music that’s playing on the radio!”


Molly just laughed and said, “No. No,  I would NEVEW go listen to a band like dis.  Dis music is da wost!!  If it was KISS, den I would go.  I love da band KISS.”


Dammit!!  I should have lied and said that Platinum Blonde was EXACTLY like KISS. 




But regardless of Molly’s reaction, I still broached the subject with Lola while all 3 of us were swimming in the lake later on that day.


After I asked Lola, she paused and then asked the following questions.  A)  Would it be a late night? (ie/ a party) , B)  Would there be tons of people there?  (ie/ a full-fledged party), and C) Were they allowed to get ice cream before the show? (ie/ kids version of pre-drinking).  Once I answered yes to all 3 of her questions she agreed to go!!  And then she did a summersault in the lake.


When her head popped out of the water, Lola asked, “Mommy, do they sing any songs that I know???”


Having sung “Standing in the Dark” out loud with my kids every single time it came on the radio, I had a strong feeling that Lola would know that song.  So while treading water I sang the first line of the song super loud  “Standing in the dark…..”   


Lola’s eyes went huge as she completed the lyric…..”this could be your LAST mistake!!”


“Haha!!  YES!!” I screamed.


“Oh Mommy”, Lola said excitedly “I can’t WAIT to go tonight!!  It’ll be so much fun!!”


But as I was about to drop the bomb to her that we weren’t going because Molly loved KISS more (insert eye roll here)…..Molly suddenly had a change of tune (literally!) and exclaimed, “Yeah.  It’s donna be AMA-ZING!  I can’t wait!!”


And then Molly did a summersault in the water.



I was super confused by Molly’s change of heart……but I dare not say anything about it.  So I just squealed. 



And then I also did a summersault ;)  


--------------------------------------------------------------


Later on that night.



It was 9:30pm and Platinum Blonde was about to come on stage. 


We were all crazy excited!

---------------------------------------------


It was 10:00pm and Platinum Blonde was sure to come on stage soon. 


We were all still excited!

----------------------------------------------


It was 10:30pm and there was still no sight of Platinum Blonde. 


The kids were getting restless.

----------------------------------------------


It was 10:45pm.


Now I was getting restless.

----------------------------------------------


It was 11:00pm. 


And then it finally happened. 


No,  not Platinum Blonde. 


EXTREME MOMMY GUILT!



It was way past the kids’ bedtime and here we were………..standing in the dark.



I looked over at my sister, and then at my children and I finally announced…. in the saddest voice ever, “Ok guys, let’s pack up our stuff and go home”.


Lola said, “Mommy!! No!!!  What about the band??”


And surprisingly, even Molly was disappointed, and through a large yawn she said, “Don’t you want to see yo band Mommy??”


I sighed, “It’s ok kids.  It wasn’t meant to be.  It’s too late, and we need to get you guys to bed”.



So we packed up our blanket and our cooler, and we started the long way back to the parking lot.


We were almost at the car (a good ½ a kilometer away from the stage), when I sadly chuckled and said to my sister, “Can you imagine if they came on right now??”



And just like that, the universe laughed back……and Platinum Blonde came on stage……and they started to play….. Standing in the Dark.



I gasped.



Then Lola gasped.



And then little Molly gasped.



We all stared at each other with huge eyes and mouths wide open as the music echoed across cottage country.


I then looked at my sister who just laughed at us and said, “Leave everything with me and GO!!”



She didn’t have to ask me twice.  I threw the cooler on the ground and yelled, “Girls!!  RUN!!!”



And we all ran back to the stage, as fast as our tired little legs could.




And we finally made it.




Just in time for the ending of our song.  







Sometimes a gal just needs a couple best friends....to sing with, to dance with .......

....and to stand in the dark with.

And let's be honest, when it comes to Lola, Molly and I....this will definitely not be our last mistake ;) ;) 












Comments

  1. I love this story!! And the pic of you three😍😍😍 situation critical😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h