Skip to main content

Is there candy stuck in my hair??




This story is an "oldie... but a goodie" as my Tata would say.


Let's go back in time for a bit, shall we?  About 10 years ago....when I was working for a shoecare company.  


I did this part-time gig where I would go to high-end shoe stores and teach the staff how to use shoe-care products.  Usually the job shifts were early in the morning, before the store opened, so I would very often sleep over at my sister's condo the night before so that I didn't have a long commute the next morning.


As my sister and I were watching The David Letterman show the night of my sleep-over, I found that I finally hit my wall and needed to call it a night.


I announced to my sis that I was ready for bed.


"Ok! Sounds good." Mishi answered.  "I'll stay up a little, but I'm hitting the sack soon too."


My sister only had one bedroom at the time, so we had to share a bed.  


About 10 minutes later, as I was pulling up my covers, she snuck into the bedroom to grab her book.


I suddenly realized that it had been a long time since we were kids and had to share a bed....


"Sooooo......you still don't move much at night do you?"  I asked slowly and through gritted teeth.

"No....why?"  she answered.


"Well....it's just that....I'm gonna need you to stay on your side, ok?"  I nodded my head as I spoke (something I learned while doing sales in order to get the other person to agree with you subconsciously).


"Oh brother Ludge! Don't be dumb."  she rolled her eyes.


I continued talking to her as I sat up and began putting cream on my hands (for ultimate overnight moisturizing.  Dammit...I wish I brought my over-night moisture-gloves!)  


"It's just that, I REALLY need my space", I said making sure the cream was getting between each finger crevice.  


"Yeah yeah, whatever.  Goodnight Ludge"  

My sister was about to leave the room when I continued....


"Ummmm.......are you going to be watching TV very late???"  I asked nervously.


"Don't worry, I'll turn in down".  She said that with a smile but her voice was very aggressive.  I was confused by the happy face but angry voice  >:(


Nonetheless, I smiled back "Good!"  I said happily.  "I'll have my earplugs in so I should be ok, but just wanna make sure the volume doesn't go past......4, ok???  Actually, make that 3."


My sister again was about to step out the door, but I caught her just in the nick of time....


"Anddd.......just so you know.......I wear a sleep mask now.  So don't get scared if you look over in the middle of the night, ok??"


I grabbed my mask which had the words HOT TONIGHT on one side and NOT TONIGHT on the other, and I gently placed it on my forehead.


My sister again rolled her eyes.


Suddenly I felt very chilly.  I wasn't sure if it was the temperature.....or her uncalled-for attitude. 


I pulled the covers off of me and felt my toes.  They were freezing....as usual.....but slightly more freezing than normal.  "Hey, is your heat on???"  I asked "It's like, REALLY cold in here.  Could you pass me my socks??" as I pointed to my over-night bag.


My sister marched over to my bag, grabbed my fuzzy pink socks and whipped them aggressively at my head.


"Heyyy!!!" I yelled, "Take is EASSYYY!!!"

I looked at her sideways as I reached for the socks behind my head.  Then my sleeping mask fell off which I had to re-position.  Sheesh!  What a disaster!!


My sister finally left the room.


After a few seconds I said....


"Hey Mish?  Do you wear your hair in a ponytail at night??"


My sister yelled from the hallway.


"Oh my God Ludge!!  What are you talking about??"


I reached over to grab a bag which was on the nightstand.  "It's just that....my throat is sore........so I'll probably pop a Polish eucalyptus candy in my mouth before I go to bed.  Ya know.....just to soothe my throat while I'm sleeping.  I find that REALLY effective."  


I un-wrapped one of my favourite candies and threw it in my mouth and smiled.


My sister came barging back into the room.


"Ludge!! That's not safe!!!"  her eyes were massive.  


"No no!  It's fine!"  I said re-assuringly.  "I only choked once. But that was only like, for a second.   But what I'm REALLY worried about, is that the candy might fall out of my mouth  while I'm sleeping and possibly get into your hair....."


Now my sister was starting to look a little weird.  Her eyes were bugging out of her head again, and she looked very angry.  I honestly didn't know what her problem was?

"Please tell me you're joking??" she said in a very loud voice.


I looked up at the ceiling and threw my hands up and laughed.  "Yeah! I know right!  It  happened to me once.  Not in my hair!  But one morning I woke up, and it was stuck to my forehead!   I pulled it off with no trouble.  But it DID leave a stain on my head that lasted a few days.  But......I'm sure you'll be fine!!  It's just that you have really long hair........beautiful hair........and I just don't want anything to happen to it.  So maybe you can tie your hair up in a ponytail tonight??  Or maybe a bun?  A bun would be best I think."



Suddenly my sister lost it.


"ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TELLING ME THAT CANDY IS GOING TO END UP IN MY HAIR TONIGHT??  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!  YOU ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!"


And with that, she stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind her.



Jesus.  What the heck got into her?? 


Why was she SO angry?



Her behaviour was beyond inappropriate for night-time.



Everyone knows that you need to be calm at night. That's the ONLY way you'll get to bed in a nice, peaceful way.  Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for tossing and turning and night-terrors.


Maybe I should teach her how to go to bed in a relaxed way??


Yes!!  That's what I should do!!


I will help my sister be more relaxed at night.


She really needs to just calm down. 




And with that, I turned off the light, pulled down my eye mask, stuck my earplugs in my ears, popped another eucalyptus candy, adjusted my fuzzy pink socks, pulled up the covers, turned on my sound machine, rolled over onto my stomache, stuck my hands under my pillow, turned my head to the side, took a deep breath, and went to sleep.



Some people should really learn to just CHILL OUT!!!


:)







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Physiotherapy. Do you REALLY need it??

I’m going to start off today’s blog by saying……. “I know”. I know  that it’s been a LONG time since you’ve all heard from me. I also know  that your life is not complete without my stories.  I can only imagine that you’ve probably gone into SERIOUS withdrawals and have possibly had to turn to other sources for entertainment such as Netflix, or reading books that are not at all as tantalizing or enriching as my blog.  Or perhaps you’ve even felt compelled to turn to the negativity of…..dare I say it…..the NEWS!?  I hope to goodness you haven’t.  But regardless, I’m really sorry for the time I have been away and for the consequences you have had to endure as a result of my recent sabbatical. But guyssssss, I needed a BREAK!   Since I last wrote for you, it was not long after my invasive knee surgery……..which I have since learned was actually a REALLY big deal.  You see, many surgeries in which the knee is injured, the surgeon just goes in and cuts awa