Skip to main content

One text too many.




As a single mom, my weekends with my children are filled to the brim with  activities.  Swimming, nature hikes, the park, pre-school groups and the library are just a few of the places we go to in order for my children to expend their insane amount of energy.  (Oh to have just 10% of it!)

A few weekends ago, after church, I took my daughters to an indoor play park.  Although the volume at one of these places is incredibly loud and not exactly relaxing for parents, it is still an incredible place to go to on those cold and rainy days.


About an hour in and I found myself watching Molly as she sped down a little ramp in her car.

"Mommy!  Watch me!!!"

Over and over she repeated her drive down the little hill.


"They can do that for hours eh?"


I looked up to see who was talking to me and noticed a guy standing not too far from me.  Probably my age ....and most definitely a dad.


"Oh, yeah!  Totally!" I answered back laughing.


And just like that, our conversation began.  


It was very easy to talk to him and I soon realized that we had a lot in common.  

I was kind of amazed at how much we had in common actually.  I was completely shocked when I told him that my favorite band was Guns N Roses and he eagerly announced that that was HIS favorite band too.

This simple fact blew me away. 

NOBODY likes Guns N Roses except me. 

In fact, everyone laughs at me when I tell them that GNR is the best band of all time.  I'm not quite sure why.....



As our conversation continued, Molly grew tired of her car and slide.  And as she began fussing and getting impatient, I knew it was time to go home.

I said to the guy,

"Well, looks like it's time for me to go.  Nice meeting you!"

"You too!" he said "Hey...do you mind if I get your number?"



I had a feeling he would ask.  

I wasn't sure how I felt about him yet, but decided to give him my number anyway.






 
What could go wrong???


----------------------------------------------------


The girls and I got home around 4:30pm and I quickly got to preparing dinner.  


By 5:09pm I had received my first text....

Hey!  It was nice talking with you today :)





Although the message was sweet, it did arrive VERY soon after our initial meeting.

I decided to wait a bit before responding.   I didn't want this to become a let's text all night type of thing.  And I was definitely not interested in getting to know someone through choppy sentences mixed with emoji's and auto-corrects.


I wrote back at 7:30pm,  after putting the kids to bed.

Hey!  It was really nice chatting with you.


I immediately received his response.

Hope we can do it again soon.



I wrote back. 

Yeah, we should!


I waited a bit....and was happy to not receive any further texts.

Once again, I still wasn't sure how I felt about this person.  He was nice, he was cute.......but not sure it was the right fit.

Perhaps a coffee date in the next couple of weeks would give me a better understanding of who this person was.



But apparently a couple of weeks did not suffice for this guy.  For as I was preparing to start my work shift the next morning, my cell beeped.

I found it buried at the bottom of my purse and checked it to make sure it wasn't an emergency with the girls.

It was not.

Instead....it was a text from my Sunday friend.

Morning :)




Oh brother.



I immediately felt pressure to respond.....when I didn't really want to.  I mean, what was the point in writing back just as I was about to start work?  

I threw my cell back in my purse and started my shift.


At lunch, I decided to check FaceBook.  Between bites of my turkey sandwich I noticed that I had a new friend request.  Oooooh, I love new friend requests!  Who could this be??

Click.


Oh for the love......
 

Yup.  You guessed it.  My Sunday friend had already found and added me on my favorite social media site.  He had no idea of my last name or even the spelling of my first name......so he had clearly put some time and effort into this.  



Of course, in a situation like this, an emergency call had to be made.  I gave my BFF the quick run-down of events over my lunch hour.

"Mandy.  Be honest.  It's too much right??  Or am I overreacting??"

She sighed and said "Well, it IS a little much.  But he's obviously a friendly guy.  Don't freak out about it just yet."

She knew what I was going to say back before I even said it.  But I said it anyway....

"But ......you know meeeee!!"

My best friend, of all people, knows my personality inside and out, and knows that I have the potential to bolt at any circumstance that may weird me out.

"Just send him a text tonight.  Don't write him off yet!"


But once again,  I was not even given the opportunity to even remotely miss the guy.  For 3:40pm had rolled around, and yet another text had beeped through.


Hey!


Oh gawwddd.  Why?  Why so many texts??



I texted my BFF for advice again.  

Too much right???

Her response.....and I quote.....

Yah.  I just.....yeahhhhhh.....



I couldn't understand the need for so much communication when we had just met the day before?  Why couldn't he just wait for me to respond?? 

And why did I feel soooo stressed out?   


 

As I drove home, I thought about his texts.  

They WERE nice.  Thoughtful.

Definitely too many of them in a 24 hour time span.  But maybe he just couldn't stop thinking about me??

I guess I couldn't blame him.



Maybe I was being too mean?

Perhaps I should still give him a chance?

Maybe I should just write the guy back and see if he wants to go out for drinks?

Then I'd get to know him in a better context.



Yes....that's what I'll do.

I won't discard this potential relationship just yet.  

There may still be hope!





My thoughts were interrupted by another text:


Forget about me already?  lol








Yah.  I just........ NO. 




LEO'S OUT!!






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h