Skip to main content

Keep your "cool"

This weekend I went to a FABULOUS party!

It was hosted by a really good friend in her huge house and it was just amazing.

The whole house was decorated in a snow theme.......glitzy snowflakes hanging from the walls, white and silver balloons at every turn, and romantic music playing in the background.

The hostess took our coats as my best friends showed off their stunning gowns.

I strolled over to the buffet table to find it covered in delicacies....white and blue sparkly cupcakes and enough hors d'oeuvres to feed an army!

Everywhere I looked were girls in fabulous dresses, dancing, drinking and laughing.

When I didn't think the party could get any better, the doorbell rang.....and in walked 2 uber-famous celebrities.  The room went silent.........I quickly grabbed my camera and ran to the door with the rest of the guests.  I couldn't believe it!  We were all staring in awe.  The celebrities took off their coats.....threw back their hair....and glided into the house.  It was all so magical!

I couldn't believe I was here!

I.....was at a party......with ANNA AND ELSA FROM FROZEN!!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen.....I was at the most fabulous kid's party EVER!

My best friends (aka. my daughters) ran up to me.

"Mommy!!!  Anna is here!  And so is ELSA!!!" , Lola was announcing this at the top of her lungs.

"Shhh!!!!"  without looking at her, I put my hand over Lola's mouth, "They're about to say something!!"

"Hello everyone.  We're so happy to be here!"  said Elsa in her soft and delicate voice.  

I melted.  She sounded like Marilyn Monroe!

I found I was just as star-struck as my kids were.  At one point Elsa looked at me and smiled and I looked down and blushed.  Oh my God.....  she's soooo beautiful.......

The little girls parted like the Red Sea to let them through the crowd.  Two huge chairs were put out for them....like for royalty.  They scooped up their big gowns and gently sat down.  The little girls, all decked out in their own princess dresses, circled them and stared in excitement and anticipation.

Anna and Elsa did not disappoint.  They entertained us all night!  They sang, they giggled and they told stories of the magical land of Arendelle.  But the best .....was when they spoke to eachother.  Their little inside jokes and laughter had me gazing at them in envy.  At one point, I pushed a kid out of the way to get closer to them.   

They were just flawless.  Their faces like porcelain.  Their lips sparkled like jewels.  And their hair, long and lustrous.

One of the kids suddenly yelled out and snapped me out of my thoughts.... "Where's Olaf??"

"Yeah!  Where's Olaf??!"  I blurted out after him.

Everyone looked at me.

I laughed nervously....."ha....ha.........the kids....ummm.....the kids are wondering where Olaf is....??"

The crowd rolled their eyes and looked back at the Queen and the Princess.

Geeze.  Get your crap together Leo!!  You look like an idiot.  Keep your cool.

I took a breath and left the room for a moment.  I needed to regain my composure.   I went over to the buffet and helped myself to a cool beverage......melted snowman.  Ahhhh.  Delicious.  I grabbed a few Olaf noses and went back to the party.

The rest of the night was a blur.  I was in heaven.  I started feeling like a princess myself.  But I was so mad at myself for not wearing a gown!  Why did I wear jeans??  Ugh.....rookie mistake!

After a few hours of feeling like a snow princess myself, and living in a magical ice land, and being whisked away by the gorgeous Kristoff on his loyal reindeer Sven........it was time to put my fantasy to rest.  The party was over and it was time for the celebrities to leave.

They stood at the door waving like Queen Elizabeth as they hugged and kissed all the girls.

The door opened, and the cold night breeze whisked them away.  I pushed down on a kid's head to catch just one more glimpse of them.....but they were gone.

On the way home, my daughters were ransacking their loot bags as I drove quietly and thought about the night.

I thought how amazing it would be to be a snow princess.  All the glitz and glam.  The silver gowns, the sparkly tiaras, the ice castle.........I would do ANYTHING to be a snow princess.  That would honestly be the BEST!  This is my new mission.  Nothing will change my mind!

I started singing under my breath....."Let it goooo.....let it gooo......don't hold me back anymore........."


"Mommy!  Quiet!  We're watching Merliah!  Mermaid Princess of the Ocean!!!

..........

Hmmmmm.

Or maybe I could be a mermaid??  Prince Eric is a lot cuter than Kristoff.  Better nose.  And he lives on the beach........

Yeah.  A mermaid!  What I wouldn't give to be a mermaid!!









Comments

  1. Hi Leo, this is your funniest entry yet. I enjoy your writing very much. I'm not sure if you remember me, but you signed me up at Champion a handful of years ago, for a special - 30 days for $30. I ended up training there for 2 years, but I left Champion and Barrie a couple of years ago. I'll always remember your kindness and positive energy. I'm glad I can keep up with your adventures through your blog. I hope you continue writing; you have a true gift.

    Sincerely,
    Margaret Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This. Is. London.

The year was 2000.   I was 24 years old. I had a huge job in a pharmaceutical company and was quickly heading up the corporate ladder.     During the week I busted my ass at work, which meant I made the rich corporate big wigs even richer (insert eye roll here).   It was very stressful but I worked damn hard every day to prove myself.   But on the weekends, well….. the weekends were a different story.   The weekends were my escape.     After university, my best friends and I quickly became infatuated with the Toronto nightclub scene.   It was the perfect escape for us.   The music, the people, the clothes, the dancing…..it was all so grand, so loud and so fun.    Completely the opposite of our corporate lives. We just craved it all the time.   We couldn’t get enough! You can imagine that going back to work on Monday was just awful. Not only was my body still filled with Red Bull and Vodka, but I swear that I could still feel the pumping of the music’s ba

Standing in the Dark.

“Are you sitting comfortably??   ….then we’ll begin.” Song:    It Doesn’t Really Matter. Artist:   Platinum Blonde. It was a quiet afternoon at the cottage.  Lola was reading on the hammock outside and Molly and I were coloring at the kitchen table. My cousin Julie suddenly barged in.  “Do you know who’s playing in town tonight??” she announced. Molly and I looked up startled. Julie yelled, “PLATINUM BLONDE!!” I gasped and dropped my fuschia-coloured crayon. Next to Guns N’ Roses, Platinum Blonde was a close second on my favorite bands list.   Songs like Standing in the Dark , It Doesn’t Really Matter and Situation Critical  were the theme songs of my youth as I regularly blasted them on my boom box in the 80's. I couldn’t believe that this iconic band would be playing in our tiny town of Haliburton!?  I could only hope that my children would be so kind as to attend

Remember when you used to blog?

"Remember when you used to blog?  Those were the days....." This is what a dear old friend recently wrote to me on Facebook.   I was shocked.  Shocked that this person who I respected and liked so much even read my blog, or even knew that I had one.  And incredibly humbled and honoured that he took the time to send me that simple little line. I stared at the computer and re-read his words over and over again.  His comment had sent a wave of emotions running through me. And I'm sure he had no idea, but he had said exactly what I had been feeling for the past year and a half.   I must have re-read that sentence 20 or even 30 times.  And when I finally felt l like I had tortured myself enough,  I closed my eyes, took a deep  breath, lifted my head, put my hands on my keyboard.........and starting writing.   Again. -------------------------------------------------------------- Writing had always been a source of healing for me.  Since I was a little girl, I h